Chilly chicken in Andhra style is very very hot/spicy.I love spicy food and this one is a favorite. I don't know of other restaurants but Nandini in Indiranagar(Bangalore) serves this dish. We would always order chilly chicken with half meal's at Nandini.
My Ingredients :
Chicken :1 Kg.
Green chillies : 10-12. ( Very hot)
Green chile peppers : 5-10 . (large, mild chiles referred as Anaheim pepper or New mexican green chillies)
Ginger paste : 1tsp.
Garlic paste : 1tsp.
Onions : 3 Medium sized. ( 1 onion for grinding, and 2 onion to be finely chopped).
Pepper powder : 1tsp.
Lemon juice : 2tbsp ( 1/2 lemon juice).
Cloves : 5.
Cummin Seeds : 1/2 tsp.
Cinnamon : 1 inch stick.
Curry leaves : 2 strings.
- Marinate chicken with 3 tsp of salt for 1/2 hour.
- Grind 1 onion, greenchilles, ginger and garlic paste into smooth paste.
- Pod cloves,cinnamon and cummin seeds into coarse powder.
- Heat 3 -4 tbsp of oil in wok, add finely chopped onion and saute it till the onion turns light brown. Now add wet masala ( mixture of onions, chillies, ginger and garlic) and curry leaves . Saute for a minute.
- Add marinated chicken 2 cups of boiling water. To this add coarse powder of cloves, cumin seeds, cinnamon and slits of Green chile peppers, adjust for salt.
- Simmer it by putting on lid let the chicken cook and the gravy gets condensed. Now squeeze half lemon juice, add pepper powder and leave it on stove for another 5 minute. Chilly chicken is ready to be served with lemons.