This recipe is made in two steps,
1.Making fish fry.
2. Making gravy.
Coconut milk : 1 tin or milk of one full coconut.
Pepper powder: 1tsp.
Turmeric powder : 1 tsp.
Chilli powder : 2-3 tsp ( more if you want to make it spicy)
Onion : 2 medium sized
Tomato : 1 medium sized.
Green chillies : 2 cut into slits ( for taste optional)
Tamarind pulp : 2tsp .... ( More if you like tangy like me).
Coconut oil : 2 tbsp.
1. Making fish fry follow the following link:
Only the thing to be kept in mind is to remove the center bone so that we get 4 equal piece before frying.
Shallow fry the fish on tawa using coconut oil, donot deep fry in oil.
Use only fish like Surmai ( King fish), Halwa (Black pomfret), White pomfret cut into slices.
2.To make the gravy:
- Add coconut milk,pepper powder, turmeric powder, chillie powder, 1/2 tsp salt mix well . ----(1) ***Add less salt as the salt is already been applied to fish. Later the salt can be adjusted.
- Heat 2 tbsp of coconut oil in a large pan, add chopped onions saute till the color of onions change to light brown, Now add tomato and green chillies( optional), saute for a minute . Now add the above paste (1), add a cup water, tamarind pulp adjust for salt. Let the gravy simmer.
- While the gravy is simmering, add hot fried fish fry directly from the tawa . Let all the fish fry soak the gravy.
- Serve with white rice and cucumber salad.