Mutton 1/2 kg
Ginger Paste 1tsp
Garlic Paste 1tsp
Cinnamon 1 inch
Curd 3 Tbsp
Mint leaves 2 tsp
Coriander leaves 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
Green chiliies 4-5 (finely chopped)
Turmeric Powder 1 tsp
Ghee 2 tbsp.
Eating color a pinch
Salt as per taste
Onions 3 medium sized
Basmati Rice 2 cups.
Refined oil/ Ghee 7 tbsp
Step 1: Caramelization of onion's :
- Finely chop onion's. In a fry pan heat around 7 tbsp of oil, add finely chopped onions.Caramelize them.
- Remove the caramelized onion and save the oil.
Step 2: For Marination :
- Clean mutton wash it through running water, add ginger garlic paste, cinnamon, cloves, cardmom, curd, finely chopped mint leaves, finely chopped coriander leaves, green chilles, turmeric powder, caramelized onions, salt around 2 tsp. Marinate for one hour or more.
- Fill in open pot with water, add 1 tsp of salt and 3-4 mint leaves. Once water starts boiling add washed basmati rice.Parboil rice. Drain all water.
- In half cup of wheat flour, add water. Mix well to make something like chapati/roti dough. (** Note : Make the dough a bit wet). Now on lid edge apply the dough.
- In a pan or pot, add oil which was saved during caramelization of onions. Once oil becomes hot add marinated mutton (Marination made in Step2). Put parboiled rice. Add eating color to tbsp of milk put it on the rice.From the stock of paraboiled rice, take around a small cup of stock add 2 tbsp of pure ghee, boil this mixture add it to the rice after adding colour.
- Put on the lid. Put on hot charcoal. (** If using stove keep small grinding stone on the lid) Let it cook for 20 minutes. After around 20 minutes the dough applied to lid starts getting dry and aroma starts coming out .
- Cook for another 10 to 15 minutes on low flame.
- Briyani is ready to be served with lemon dressed mint onion salad.