Kholombo is kind of curry made in konkani food. Its pure vegterian curry. Kholombo powder can be made and stored or can be made instantly.To be served with basmati rice.
Ingredient Required :
Turdal 1 Cup
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Salt as per taste.
Vegetables to be used :
Drum sticks cut in size of 2 inches each
Brinjal cut in cube of 2 inches
Bell pepper cut in cube of 2 inches
Tomatoes cut in cube of 2 inches
Potato cut in cube of 2 inches
- Pressure cook turdal, salt,turmeric with 1 cup of water. Take around 2 whistles and if using open pan cook till turdal is well cooked.
- Now add chopped vegetables. Cook till the drumstick change its color to sap green and other vegetables are well cooked.
For Tadka :
Coconut 1/4 cup finely grated
Dry chillies 7-8
Cloves 10 (Lavang)
Pepper 10 (Meeri)
Coriander 2 tsp
Tamarind 1 inch piece
- Fry the above ingredients in a tablespoon of coconut oil other than tamarind and coconut. (** Note : Fry each ingredient one at a time)
Cummin seeds 1 Tsp (Jeera)
Fenugreek 1/2 Tsp (Methi)
Asafoetida 1/4 Tsp (Hing)
- Fry Cummin, Fenugreek and asafoetida in a tsp of coconut oil separately do not mix with above ingredients.
- Grind all above fried ingredient together with coconut, dry chillies and tamrind, Once the masala becomes smooth. Lastly add fried cummin,Fenugreek and asafoetida and grind for a minute.
- To the cooked turdal and vegetables, add the above masala.Let it simmer, adjust for salt.
- Lastly put tadaka. For tadka in a tsp of coconut oil, put mustard seed once the mustard seeds crackles add curry leaves and asafoetida. Fry for a minute and then put it into the curry.